The Project Accountant is an entry-level position who performs the primary accounting and billing support for the Project Management team, from project startup through final closeout. Responsible for all accounting functions, compiling accounting data, preparing schedules, maintaining accounting records and preparing reports and summaries. Responsible for collecting and coordinating required contract documents, including certificates of insurance. Involved in the preparation of project reports and budget preparation/tracking.
- Setting up new project files appropriately to ensure accurate tracking from project startup to closeout
- Gathering required documents from vendors and set up new vendors in financial system
- Processing transactions using the accounting system, confirming appropriate paperwork is attached as needed, to ensure timely vendor payments and accurate billing
- Maintaining accurate project files by entering all financial paperwork into accounting system, including change orders, budget transfers, job cost adjustments, and invoices
- Responding to inquiries from contractors, employees, and tenants
- Tracking and resolving payment discrepancies
- Identifying and executing the necessary process adjustments
- Tracking contractor and subcontractor compliance to contractual requirements. Sending out contracts for signatures and updating certificates of insurance.
- Issuing purchase orders and assisting project management team members with change order requests
- Generating month-end and year-end financial reports and others as requested
- Reconciling credit card charges and bank statements for project management team
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Associate’s degree plus two years of accounting experience is preferred, or an equivalent combination of post high school education and experience
- Experience with accounting software is required, experience with Yardi experience preferred, or experience in similar accounting software applications.
- Construction industry experience preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Maintain a neat and orderly filing system, ensuring information is accessible to others
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to self-manage work with little supervision
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Effective professional oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to operate a calculator and personal computer operating in a network environment with a demonstrated proficiency in using word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Working knowledge and understanding of fundamental accounting and bookkeeping principles, methods, and office procedures.
- Demonstrated proficiency with detail work